I know February is a short month but this one felt longer than usual. Is it just me or did it feel unusually busy? Book wise, it was a great month although, I am still experiencing buyer’s remorse on the books I bought…you’ll understand in a few.
Let’s start with the best thing to happen last month. *drum roll please*. I, Miss Bibliofancy FINALLY have a bookshelf!!! It is here and it is gorgeous!!! I wake up to it every morning and just smile my face off. Can you tell how happy I am? I am ridiculously happy. Sigh.
What I love about it (besides the obvious) is how much books it actually holds. There are 93 book on this shelf. Let’s give the father a round of applause and snaps, he did a good job. Took forever… but a really good job nonetheless.
What I Read
February was a good reading Month, I read nine books in total and started a 10th but haven’t gotten around to finishing it yet. I didn’t do a TBR for February and honestly, besides what I have planned for March I might do away with TBR’s altogether.
- Black Leopard Red Wolf – Marlon James. This was one of my most highly anticipated books of 2019 so as soon as it came in the mail I was ready. It took me longer to read that usual, about 2 weeks which was intentional as I didn’t want to rush it. I also took a break to read some lighter books in between, palette cleansers if you will. My review (and all my other reviews) are on my Goodreads page.
- A Beautiful Work in Progress – Mirna Valerio – Kindle edition.
- The Story of Beautiful Girl – Rachel Simon.
- Beyond the Naked Eye: No Home for the Wicked – Gemini Jones – Kindle edition.
- The Black God’s Drums – P. Djeli Clarke – Kindle Edition. Easily the best book I read all month. I demand a series.
- Come Drink With Me – Michelle Kan. – Kindle Edition. Sweet short story that was recommended to me by a friend. I think I will read a few more times just to see if I discover more things I didn’t notice the first time.
- When Dimple Met Rishi – Sandhya Menon. This was a reread and one of the light reads I needed while reading BLRW.
- From Twinkle, With Love – Sandhya Menon. Another palette cleanser. You can’t read one and not read the other.
- Blackkklansman – Ron Stallworth. February’s pick for, “America is not a real place”. Hahaha.
February was the month for anticipated releases and short stories. I also read all the books I had bought last month. Take that backlist!
What I got
Buckle up y’all.
- Black Leopard Red Wolf – Marlon James
- The Great Alone – Kristin Hannah
- Commonwealth – Ann Patchett
- The Source of Self-Regard – Toni Morrison
- My Sister the Serial Killer – Oyinkan Braithwaite
- On The Come Up – Angie Thomas
- Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now – Dana L. Davis
- The Poet X – Elizabeth Acevedo
- The Beast of Kukuyo – Kevin Jared Hosein
- Cutting For Stone – Abraham Verghese
- First Darling of the Morning – Thrity Umrigar
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice & Virtue – Mackenzie Lee
- A Darker Shade of Magic – V.E. Schwab
I know what you’re thinking but no, I didn’t buy all of these book and those that I did were mostly second hand books. I finally went to the second hand bookstore in Kingston and I absolutely loved it (of course). That’s where I picked up no.s 9, 10 & 11. The Beast of Kukuyo was full price though as it was a new book. I had heard some friends talking about, “The chicken book” and we are supposed to read it together. When? Not sure but it’ll happen.
Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now and The Poet X were free from a friend. I thought she was loaning them to me but she said I could keep them. Get you some friends like these!
My Sister the Serial Killer I was fortunate enough to win in a giveaway. Gyosh I love giveaways, I hope I win more this year and I plan to do some myself *wink wink*.
I found a user on Instagram called Storyland Books. I think she might be one of the best discoveries I’ve ever made on social media. All the books she sells are lightly used or books she finds at thrift stores and library sales. All you have to do is comment which one you want before someone else and it’s yours and the prices are very reasonable. That’s where I got no.s 2, 3, 12 & 13. She also has another service called Book Genie where every month she will send you a book from your Goodreads Want to Read list. You don’t know which one she has picked so you’re surprised when you open it. I love this idea! February was my first time trying it and she sent me Blackkklansman which I promptly read. If you’re interested, you should check her out (not sponsored, just a happy customer).
For BLRW, Source of Self-Regard and On the Come Up, those were pre-orders which I knew I was going to buy anyway so no remorse there. I amend my opening statement. I had remorse because it seemed like a lot but actually, I’m going to do away with apologizing for buying books in 2019. I work hard, Imma let myself have this. I am going to try to stick to Kindle buys though, save all that shipping money. That’s the only downside. My left kidney for a P.O. Box. I’m currently on 3 waiting lists for one so keep fingers crossed for me please.
I think that’s it for February, like I said it was a busy month. March is shaping up to be a very good reading month as well, I’ll keep you posted on those developments. Follow me on Instagram @miss.bibliofancy to keep up to date with my movements and you definitely want to see today’s announcement.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend and Happy Women’s History Month. “Til next time! 🙂